New Books Acquired

Books are life. Good books are heavenly. A stack of books? - indescribable. The following are the books I have purchased since I last talked about new books I have acquired:

  1. The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician by Tendai Huchu. I came to know Tendai when he published The Hairdresser of Harare. I interviewed him then. And I have an interview with him on this new book, which I am yet to post here. I was therefore surprised to find that the book organization, of which I am a member, Writers Project of Ghana, has copies of his book for sale, courtesy Farafina. The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician was published in 2015. My interest in reading Tendai's second book is to really understand the path his writing will take.
  2. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. John Banville describes the book as "unlike anything I have read in recent years, an extraordinary, breathtaking achievement." It has been considered as a great American novel. The great Harold Bloom described it as one of the best 20th Century American novel. That's enough for a purchase.
  3. The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. So there is no reason to buy this apart from the zeal to read more by this author later.
  4. The Struggle Continues by Kwame Nkrumah. Who would not want to read anything by Ghana's first president? He is one of the few presidents of his time who understood how the system worked. This was Osagyefo's last book and was published posthumously.
  5. Emigrant by G. A. Agambila. The author's reading of the book was funny. This is not a book I would have originally selected though I have read the author's other book Journey, which I did not particularly enjoy. However, I am giving this a gamble before I decide on the author completely.

Comments

  1. What an interesting combination of titles. I've never read any of these authors, but I understand their appeal. And, like you, I've sometimes been persuaded to try a book after having heard the author read from it: makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development