Quotes for Friday from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view ... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it. [34]

It's against the law, all right ... and it's certainly bad, but when a man spends his relief checks on green whiskey his children have a way of crying from hunger pains. I don't know of any landowner around here who begrudges those children any game their father can hit. [35]

Finders were keepers unless title was proven. [39]

There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results. [50]

Had I ever harbored the mystical notions about mountains that seem to obsess lawyers and judges, Aunt Alexandra would have been analogous to Mount Everest: throughout my early life, she was cold and there.

I'd rather you shot at tin cans in the back yard, but I know you'll go after birds. Shoot all the bluejays you want,  if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. [94]

People in their right minds never take pride in their talents. [102]

They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions ... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. [109]

I'm hard put, sometimes - baby, it's never an insult to be called what somebody thinks is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn't hurt you. [113]

I wanted you to see something about her - I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. [116]

[H]ow can you hate Hitler so bad an' then turn around and be ugly about folks right at home - [249/250]

Mr. Finch, there's just some kind of men you have to shoot before you can say hidy to 'em. Even then, they ain't worth the bullet it takes to shoot 'em. [272]

[Y]ou never really know a man until you stand in his shoes and walk around in them. [282]

[N]othin's real scary except in books. [283]
____________________
Read the review here.

Comments

  1. Memorable book it has been for me. I enjoyed every bit of it and it's good to catch snippets from it again over here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always wonderful to read quotes from a favorite book - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this movie way back when but I don't think I ever read the book. These are great quotes. I have to read the book now.

    "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view" - So true and great to remember before giving advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This movie is the best ever.I am a child in the 6th grade and I saw the movie and read the book. I think the book is better than the movie because it gave more details.My favortie character in the movie is Scout[Mary Badham].

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development