Mosquito Hymns

Seporowa tunes silenced my ears
as I danced Adowa with ancestral spirits
under that towering Awoonor’s tree
They sang somnolent hymns
and I was lost amongst the cityscape

Head…banging
Tongue…hanging
Feet…stamping
Hands…clapping

Was it a puff from my dead daddy
or a two-tone tune from an unknown pack
Let Handel handles his Messiah
and the bees hum Beethoven’s fifth symphony

The seporowa tunes remained silent to my censored senses
as my lagging legs gyrated to some mystical lyrics
that mutilated the tone of our village’s voice

Hands…clapping
Feet…stamping
Tongue…rolling
Head…trolling

Soul…striving

I paused to breath
to seek directions to the door
but here am I alone with some mosquito hymns
buzzing my mind in a relentless discord
of malfunctioning notes

June 24, 2007

*Seporowa is a local musical instrument

Comments

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development